Wednesday, December 20, 2006

To Blink or Not?

Mirror on Truck, Baton Rouge 8/2006
all reproduction rights reserved Wm. Greiner

Reading a Reuters article online today by , Arthur Spiegelman , titled Director Lynch produces film that puzzles critics , David Lynch talked about his process in making films. Lynch said, "It is not an intellectual thing. I am an intuitive filmmaker. You go by intuition. You let the idea talk."


I realized that idea connected with Malcolm Gladwell’s notion about how some decisions were best made intuitively. He expounded on this in his popular book, BLINK. Gladwell is not saying , not to think in making decisions. However, he is saying that our subconscious mind can make some decisions better and quicker.


I have subscribed to this notion in making pictures after realizing some of my most successful images were made quickly , without much conscious thought.



1 Comments:

Blogger Davin Risk said...

As much as I don't really have enough of a full-fledged photographic practice to make any solid claims, I have thought of my better photos as being the product of intuition and emotion tempered with a small dose of technique. Quite a small dose really.

Emotion on a quick instinctual level is usually what has me drawn to a flash of colour or a play of light. My relative lack of technique often messes with that charmed connection but it's still my preferred mode in terms of being a photographer.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home