Wednesday, December 20, 2006

To Blink or Not?

Mirror on Truck, Baton Rouge 8/2006
all reproduction rights reserved Wm. Greiner

Reading a Reuters article online today by , Arthur Spiegelman , titled Director Lynch produces film that puzzles critics , David Lynch talked about his process in making films. Lynch said, "It is not an intellectual thing. I am an intuitive filmmaker. You go by intuition. You let the idea talk."


I realized that idea connected with Malcolm Gladwell’s notion about how some decisions were best made intuitively. He expounded on this in his popular book, BLINK. Gladwell is not saying , not to think in making decisions. However, he is saying that our subconscious mind can make some decisions better and quicker.


I have subscribed to this notion in making pictures after realizing some of my most successful images were made quickly , without much conscious thought.



2 Comments:

Blogger sink sink socks said...

Hence the tendency of the thinkingprocess must be to free itself more and more from exclusive adjustmentby the principle of pain, and through the working of the gratis pissen mind torestrict the affective development to that minimum which is necessary asa signal.He hadbeen, he handylogos free h remembered, GIDEON, America's Foremost Native Comedian, atitle that was at once boast and challenge.M----, to whom I was introduced at a dinner-party, begged me oneday to examine his elder brother, who showed signs of mental trouble schwarze nackt.On arriving at the south gate of the Asylum grounds, I was about toring, but my friend held my arm and brutal dildos user name and password begged me to rap with my stick,which I did.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Davin Risk said...

As much as I don't really have enough of a full-fledged photographic practice to make any solid claims, I have thought of my better photos as being the product of intuition and emotion tempered with a small dose of technique. Quite a small dose really.

Emotion on a quick instinctual level is usually what has me drawn to a flash of colour or a play of light. My relative lack of technique often messes with that charmed connection but it's still my preferred mode in terms of being a photographer.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home