Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The OH factor!

Red Ford Falcon, La Place LA 10/2005
all reproduction rights reserved Wm. Greiner

I stopped for gas today in La Place , a small community located along I-10 between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, on my way back from New Orleans. While the gas was pumping, I got my camera out and started taking pictures of the pumps and various other things. A store employee came over to me, I assume on her cigarette break since she was smoking, and asked me if she could help me? I said , yes , if you wish to finish pumping my gas - that would be a great help?

Of course, I realized the real question was , why was I taking pictures in the station? It is always , my nature, to give the smart ass answer first, but after we got that out of the way I explained that I hoped to photograph things in ways that people overlooked. As a photograph , some of these things, places and situations looked different than if you were standing in front of them. I told her my intended response by people , looking at my photographs , is OH!

I call it the OH factor.

2 Comments:

Blogger William Greiner said...

What did she say? To the first answer I gave her, just a blank stare! Then she asked what was I photographing, so I literally told her what I was seeing and what I hoped it would look like as a photograph. She understandably lost interest at that point and started to walk away. However, sometimes people are interested , so I keep talking.....

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real Smooth.

I can see her face, like- "Are you kidding me who do you think you are?"

Good story.
-julian

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home