Thursday, March 18, 2010

NO MAS!

Boxing Figure, Mid-City/New Orleans La 1995
All reproduction rights reserved Wm. Greiner

My Handgun Story

I had a concealed handgun permit in New Orleans , long before such a thing became so common or popular. They were actually hard to get, because it required training certification, a background check, etc.

Since I was photographing around the city at all times of the day and night, with lots of expensive equipment, I thought I might be a target. So, I carried a gun.

One day it dawned on me that I most relied on my instincts and a kin awareness of my surroundings for my protection. I questioned in my mind if I was prepared to shoot anyone, even in self defense? So I stopped carrying the gun.

Not long after this decision, I was driving around the Mid-City area of New Orleans. It was a bright, beautiful and sunny day. I would drive past this boxing facility , which had this fantastic larger than life boxer near it.

So, I passed the place. There was a car in front of me going excruciatingly slow. I am sure I was tailgating the guy, but all of a sudden, the driver stopped in the middle of the street. He jumped out of the car, screaming at me: "I got a gun!", "You got a gun?"! He kept yelling that over and over again. I calmly smiled, raised my hands and said "No I don't have a gun, it's cool!".

He got back in his car and drove away.
And I am glad that I did not have a gun that day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Slimbolala said...

Yeah, 9 times out of 10, paying attention to and knowing how to interpret one's surroundings is a way better defense than anything else. And no kid ever died from finding and playing with their parents' keen awareness.

11:48 AM  
Blogger William Greiner said...

Well said! Thanks.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Scott R Chamberlain said...

Great story. Keep up the good work.
Thanks William

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home