Wednesday, August 05, 2009

COPY CAT(TLE)

Stratford Cattle , UK 2003 from UKOK
All reproduction rights reserved Wm. Greiner

Chinese painting version of Stratford Cattle, UK 2003

I split my time between making art (photographs) and selling it (paintings), so last year when an article appeared in the newspaper , “Two art dealers plead guilty to fake artwork”, I was intrigued.

As it turns out, this mother and son team from Covington , La were having paintings churned out , by a Chinese art factory. This pair would then make up artists names, bios. , c.v.s and provenances and sell the paintings as locally produced. Ah great idea, except it was fraud!

Ironically, about the same time I had seen this article, a Chinese art factory contacted me about producing paintings! I sent them an image of mine, one I made in the English countryside of cattle grazing. It’s a nice photograph. I wanted to see what it would look like as a painting!

This is a kind of an international art collaborative , which I call “WORLDART”

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, you finally got the painting! Looks like they did a pretty good job!

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home